Events, photography and filming
Our parks and open spaces are perfect for:
Organise an event in our parks
If you would like to organise an event in one of our parks or open spaces, contact us.
You can discuss your proposed event with our team but we must be in receipt of all your completed event documentation at least 20 working days prior to the event taking place so that your event request can be processed.
However, Committee approval must be sought for events that:
- will last for more than 3 days (including set up or take down periods)
- will require the closure of the site or a proportion of the facility which will have an impact on regular users
- will have alcohol on sale at the event
- will have an admission charge
- could be deemed controversial.
All documentation relating to this type of event must be submitted at least four months in advance to the Council.
We will advise you on which documents you will need to complete for your event, such as the 24 point event plan or small event action plan. You must also complete our risk assessment form and provide us with a copy of your public liability insurance for any events.
For events such as large scale concerts, music festivals and cultural events, if a request for an event is approved, the following will apply:
- A licence agreement may need to be drawn up between the Council and the applicant.
- A bond of intent (deposit) will be paid to the Council at the time of the provisional booking.
- Full ground reinstatement costs will be met by the applicant and this will be subject to a bond that will be retained in the event of non compliance.
- A fee for the use of the facility which will be determined on a case by case basis.
Entertainment licences will be required where you provide or want to provide entertainment at your event on a Belfast city Council owned park or open space. The cost and type of licence depends on the entertainment provided and licences can be issued for both indoor and outdoor events. Their conditions will vary depending on the how often you provide entertainment and the nature of the premises/facility where it will take place.
Our Park Events Small Grants Scheme offers grants of up to £3,000. This scheme is open to non-political organisations in Belfast, such as community, youth and church groups, to hold an event in one of our parks.
Take your wedding day photographs in one of our parks for only £20.00 for a two hour slot.
You must get written permission to use any of our parks as a location for wedding photography. Please book well in advance to secure your date and location.
If you book Botanic Gardens, this doesn't include use of the inside of the Palm House and the Tropical Ravine.
How to book your photography
Follow these steps to book your wedding photography in one of our parks.
- Call us on 028 9032 0202 extension 4703 or email email@example.com to check if the date you would like to book is available.
- If your date is available, we'll send you a booking form and request a payment of £20. You can pay by card or by cheque.
- Once we receive your form and payment, we'll send you a letter of permission for your photography. You must bring the letter along on the day. Your booking isn't confirmed until you receive your permission letter.
- You must bring the letter along on the day, as you’ll need to present the letter to a member of staff.
Download our full terms and conditions for booking photography in our parks (PDF - 268KB)
We have no objections to filming or commercial photography in our parks, as long as you obtain permission. Applications must be submitted in writing at least five working days in advance for filming or photography involving five people or less. This includes crew and subjects of the filming or photography.
Applications must be submitted in writing at least 20 working days in advance for filming or photography involving six people or more. This includes crew and subjects of the filming or photography. You must also complete our risk assessment form, provide us with a copy of your public liability insurance and a charge may be levied if the filming is for commercial purposes.
The following charges apply to commercial filming, television productions and photography. Exceptions i.e. news, news related current affairs or as part of an educational course will require prior agreement with Corporate Communications and the Department.
The following fees are valid until 31 March 2020.
| TV productions, commercials and small films
| Per hour
| Palm House - per hour
| Tropical Ravine - per hour
| (see Belfast Castle and Malone House for separate, specific charges)
| Commercial photography
| Per hour
| Wedding Photography - any park, per 2 hour slot