The park is home to the Waterworks multi-sports facility. It also includes a community garden, where local volunteers grow their own fruit and vegetables and two children's playgrounds. The Waterworks is also a popular spot for walkers and offers several varied routes.
The Belfast Waterworks were established in the early 1840s by the Water Commissioner. The site supplied water to the city's factories and residents for 20 years before demand began to outstrip supply.
In 1897 a public meeting was held to decide the future of the Waterworks and a suggestion was made that the site should be used for water-based activities.
The site's owners, the Water Board, were initially hesitant, as their operation licence only extended to providing the city with water and they did not want to sell their land to the Belfast Corporation (now the Belfast City Council). However, following an Act of Parliament in 1889, the Water Board were allowed to use the Waterworks for leisure purposes, provided they spent no more than £500 per year on the site.
Tom Boyce, a boating contractor who operated the Ormeau ferry across the River Lagan, was commissioned by the Water Board to provide 12 rowing boats for the site. Public bathing soon followed, as did diving and swimming galas, speedboat racing in 1929 and model yacht sailing in 1933.
The Waterworks were bought by the Belfast Corporation in 1956. They decided to partially fill in both of the site's reservoirs for safety reasons. The work took ten years to complete.
Since then, the upper pond has been stocked with trout for the local angling club and two manmade islands have been added to encourage waterfowl to breed.
We have a mobile coffee kiosk at Waterworks.
There is a public access defibrillator at this park.
For further information, visit our defibrillator programme webpage.