A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Clement Wilson Park


Clement Wilson Park contains several footpaths that link to the Lagan towpath, route 9 of the National Cycle Network and nearby Barnett Demesne. A bridge, named after local artist John Luke, was installed in the park to provide better access to pedestrians and cyclists, as part of our Investment Programme.

Clement Wilson Park was originally occupied by a clog factory, which produced goods for people working in the mills and other industries. 

In 1929, the factory site was bought by Wilson Management Ltd, who also purchased 25 acres of land to the north-east of Shaw's Bridge as part of the deal. Further land was added in 1943 and 1960, bringing the site to 54 acres in total.

Wilson Management Ltd decided to use the factory to produce soft fruit for canning. Some of the fruit was grown in orchards, which stood on what is now grassland belonging to the park beside Newforge Lane.

Because the company was located on the outskirts of Belfast, factory staff were unable to travel home for lunch. Instead, they spent their lunch break walking around the fields surrounding the factory.

After noticing how much his staff enjoyed using the site, company chairman Mr R Clement Wilson decided to landscape the grounds into gardens. The area became the first 'factory garden' in Northern Ireland.

The events of World War II changed Clement Wilson Park permanently. The factory closed and a water current, which began at Shaw's Bridge and fed water from the River Lagan to the site, was filled in using rubble from demolished air-raid shelters and buildings.

This covered millrace soon became a raised walkway and was known locally as Burmah Road. Today, it is the main path through the park.

In 1974, the council began negotiations with the Clement Wilson family to purchase their site. They bought 41 acres of land to turn into a public park, which was named after the company chairman following a request from the family.

Clement Wilson Park officially opened on 30 October 1975.

Park opening hours

Orangefield Park and Victoria Park are open 24/7. The rest of our parks open at 7.30am and close at the following times throughout the year.

If a park contains a 3G pitch, its gates may remain open while the pitches are booked for play. Users must leave the park promptly after play finishes on the 3G pitches as the park gates will be locked within 15 minutes.

 Date  Closing time 
17 September - 30 September 2018 7.30pm
1 October - 14 October 2018 7pm
15 October - 21 October 2018 6.30pm
22 October - 28 October 2018 5.30pm
29 October - 11 November 2018 5pm
12 November - 30 December 2018 4.30pm

Getting here

Enter the park at Newforge Lane. Take Metro no.8 from Belfast city centre and get off at Newforge Lane junction. Metro no. 93 also serves the park. If you are walking or cycling, you can also enter the park at Malone Road, just after the House of Sport roundabout.

Other attractions

The River Lagan flows through the park, making it a popular place to spot kingfishers and grey wagtails.

Contact us

Contact 07802 301860 (Monday to Friday only, 9am to 4.30pm)
Email Email