Falls Park walking route
This route through a busy local park follows surfaced paths with some moderate climbs.
||1.5 miles, 2.4 km
|Average time to walk
||50 - 60 minutes
|Access by bus
||Metro services: 10 A-F.
|Access by car
||Entrance to the park is off the Falls Road just past the Glen Road roundabout. Car Parking is available in the bottom left of the park.
Start at the park gates opposite the garage on the Falls Road. Follow the path uphill through the park, past the flower beds and the bowling pavilion on your left.
After a short distance the route crosses a small bridge over the Ballymurphy Stream (1). Turn right here and continue climbing the hill keeping the playing fields on your left. On your right is the City Cemetery (2)
As you climb, pause to admire the views (3). Look back over the city and the Bog Meadows (Trail 5) below and up to Divis and Black Mountain (Trail 11) and the Belfast Hills.
Continue along this path with playing fields on your left; at the next junction go straight ahead up the hill. Then contour round the top of the playing fields and begin your descent.
Follow the path downhill past mature Scots Pine and Oak trees. Further down it skirts the edge of the park adjacent to private residential housing.
At the next junction turn right down the hill into a wooded glen, passing under mature Ash and Beech trees. This will lead you past the bowling pavilion, back to the Falls Road.
Things of Interest
- Ballymurphy Stream (1) The Ballymurphy Stream runs off the Belfast Hills, through Falls Park, Bog Meadows and into the Blackstaff River, a tributary of the Lagan.
- City Cemetery (2) The City Cemetary was opened in 1869. The older sections of the cemetery contain many monuments, statues and vaults. Burials still continue today in the newer part of the cemetery.
- Views of Black mountain, Divis and Belfast Hills (3) Black Mountain and Divis (Trail 11) owned by the National Trust, are the centrepiece of the Belfast Hills; a line of low hills which stretch from Colin Mountain near Lisburn to Carnmoney Hill in Newtownabbey.
- Playground (4) Falls Park boasts a very popular play park, outdoor gym equipment and a very well attended ParkRun every Saturday at 9.30. For more information and to register visitwww.parkrun.org.uk/falls
Look out for
- Summer bedding displays
- Grey Wagtails on the Stream
- Our monthly ParkLife Saturday club. Visit the ParkLife page for more information.