Our cemeteries are open. Knockbreda Cemetery is open every day. Opening times in Roselawn Cemetery, City Cemetery and Dundonald Cemetery are limited to Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday.
Burial arrangements are in place at our cemeteries:
- We are advising funeral directors and families that only single burial plots are available to buy.
- In keeping with government guidelines, only immediate family should be present at the burial (limited to 10 people).
- Everyone present must follow social distancing guidance – you should not attend if you are symptomatic or self-isolating.
- Mourners will be asked to stand five metres away from the grave. Cemetery staff will be wearing personal protective equipment.
- Commitals will be limited to 15 minutes.
- Mourners are asked to leave the graveside immediately after the committal, and avoid any contact with each other.
- If the family wants to live stream the burial, they can do this if the funeral director and faith representative agree and it does not cause a delay in the committal.
We have suspended the burial or scattering of cremated remains across all sites. We are contacting families who have booked a burial of cremated remains.
We recognise this is a distressing time for anyone who has lost a loved one. These measures are being put in place to protect staff who are carrying out this critical service, and also to protect members of the public.
We would like to express our sincere sympathy to all those who are bereaved in these very difficult circumstances.
Work on memorials
We have suspended the processing of all memorial applications and are not authorising new memorials or additional inscriptions. Work permits will not be issued. It is not possible to sign in at cemetery offices.
Our Bereavement Services Office is closed to the public, including funeral directors. Please telephone 028 9027 0296 for any further information.
About our cemeteries
Roselawn is currently the only cemetery with new burial plots available.
There are no new grave plots available in either Dundonald or Belfast City Cemetery, but burials can still take place in existing graves.
Cremations are conducted at City of Belfast Crematorium.
We also maintain five historical cemeteries.
Find out more about:
We do not look after or hold records for Milltown Cemetery.
Memorial safety inspection programme
We'll be completing a health and safety audit of headstones and memorials in City Cemetery, Dundonald Cemetery, Friar’s Bush Graveyard, Glenalina Cemetery, Knock Burial Ground and Knockbreda Cemetery. We will begin our inspections in August 2018 and will work through the cemetery grave section by grave section.
Read more about our memorial safety inspection programme.
For more information email email@example.com
Visiting our cemeteries
Visit our cemeteries and discover their fascinating heritage, as well as the wealth of wildlife that resides amongst our headstones, memorials, hedgerows and mature trees.
Free WiFi is available in the site office.
Read our terms and conditions