Volunteering is about people choosing to give time to others and their communities to make Belfast a better place to live.
The Northern Ireland Volunteering Strategy defines volunteering as ‘the commitment of time and energy, for the benefit of society and the community, the environment, or individuals outside (or in addition to) one’s immediate family. It is unpaid and undertaken freely and by choice’.
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteering offers a range of benefits including:
- meeting new people, feeling part of a team or having new experiences;
- making a difference to other people’s lives;
- contributing to your community or to a cause you care about;
- contributing to your employability and strengthening your cv;
- the opportunity to use your skills in a productive way or to develop new skills;
- helping to increase your confidence and expand your horizons;
- adding to your sense of belonging and well-being; and
- connecting you to people and places.
We support volunteering through:
- providing the opportunity for people to volunteer for flagship city events;
- grant programmes which support the work of volunteer-involving community, arts and sporting groups across the city; and
- award schemes such as the Belfast Sports Awards and the Age-friendly Belfast Older Volunteer Awards.
Volunteering opportunities with us
- We run a range of groups in our centres. These include after-school and homework clubs, youth groups, parent and toddler and senior citizens. Visit community centres for more information.
- We have 10 IT hubs based in community centres across the city, as well as an outreach IT hub that enable us to offer free basic internet courses. Visit Super Connected Communities for more information.
- We offer an innovative programme of play activities across the city that provide opportunities for children to explore understand and learn how to cope with their environment and the world. Visit play centres for more information.
- During July and August we run summer schemes for primary school age children, offering a range of centre-based activities, trips and events.
We run various older peoples events across Belfast throughout the year including tea dances and Be Prepared events. In October we host Positive Ageing Month. This is a month is filled with over 150 events ranging from physical activity programmes to arts and culture. As part of Age-friendly Belfast
initiative we work with businesses to help them become more age-friendly.
The Tropical Ravine is now open to the public following its a £3.8million renovation and there are a range of volunteering opportunities available. Find out more information on the Tropical Ravine.
Volunteering with us
If you are interested in volunteering call 028 9032 0202 extension 3775 or email email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you.
Volunteering in Northern Ireland
If you'd like to find out about opportunities elsewhere in Belfast and Northern Ireland, visit the Volunteer Now website.