Young people: Social Mobility Business Partnership
This programme provides year 13 students (or equivalent), living in Belfast or attending school or learning centres in Belfast, with an opportunity to carry out a structured week of work experience with some of Belfast’s leading employers including UTV, PwC, Herbert Smith Freehills and BT. Each day you will work with these employers to develop a different range of employability skills.
On the fifth day, you will spend a day with Ulster Rugby to learn about the psychology of resilience.
Lunch and travel will be provided for the week.
All participants will also benefit from ongoing mentoring and coaching support with completing application forms, interviewing and completing personal statements from industry professionals. An online coaching platform will also support you through your journey to a career.
This programme will provide you with the chance to:
- go through a recruitment and selection process and receive support to develop your interview skills
- gain an insight into what it is like to work in leading global companies
- provide help and support to get a wide range of experiences that will develop your employability skills and look great on your CV
- enhance your employability skills and maximise chances of developing a rewarding future career
- positively shape a pathway for career progression.
Visit Ulster Rugby to hear from some of last year’s participants in the programme.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be in Year 13 (or equivalent).
- Attend school in Belfast or live in Belfast.
- 5 GCSEs Grades A-C including Maths and English.
- be entitled to Free School Meals.
- be the first generation in family to go to university.
How to apply
We have two phases of applications in 2020:
Phase one applications: Applications closed on Saturday 29 February 2020.
Interviews will be held between 24 and 25 March in 9 Adelaide, Belfast City Council, 9-21 Adelaide Street, Belfast, BT2 8DJ.
You will be contacted directly by the end of March to let you know if you have secured a place on the programme.
Phase two applications: Applications are now open until Friday 3 April 2020.
If you experience any issues with this form please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be contacted directly in April to be told whether you have successfully secured an interview.
Interviews will be held between 23 and 24 April in 9 Adelaide, Belfast City Council, 9-21 Adelaide Street, Belfast, BT2 8DJ
This week of work experience is scheduled to run from 29 June 2020 – 3 July 2020 (Dates are to be confirmed).
Information session for all applicants
For any Student that has applied already or is thinking about applying is invited to attend an information session on 12 March 2020 in City Hall. Parents and teachers are also welcome to attend.
At this session, you will find out more about the programme, get support with the next steps and will have the opportunity to meet the employers and get interview skills support. There will also be a #IamRemarkable workshop delivered by Google after this information session that will help you to:
- Recognise your achievements
- Find your voice in the workplace
- Identify and celebrate your achievements in the workplace and beyond
To confirm your attendance at this information session please reserve your place by Monday 9 March 2020.
To find out more about this programme, visit the SMBP website or contact Economic Development on 028 9027 0482.