Car Parking Strategy and Action Plan
The Belfast City Centre Regeneration and Investment Strategy identifies transport and connectivity as playing a significant role in the economic growth and regeneration of Belfast. Car parking is a vital element of this.
We have developed the Belfast Car Parking Strategy and Action Plan following extensive consultation and engagement.
The Car Parking Strategy:
- provides a baseline review of parking in Belfast
- identifies key issues, challenges and opportunities, and
- outlines a number of objectives to support the Strategy’s vision.
Belfast is a city offering sufficient, high quality and appropriately located parking which supports economic development and regeneration within the city by balancing the requirements of residents, businesses, commuters and visitors.
The objectives that support this vision includes:
- ensuring appropriate provision and location of car parking to support and improve the economic vitality of the city centre and district centres.
- ensuring car parking provision encourages sustainable commuter travel, especially for journeys into the city centre and supports access by public transport, cycling and walking.
- minimising the potentially negative impacts of parking on residential communities in the city particularly in inner city areas.
- working with stakeholders to improve the quality of parking and information available, ideally through technology and, in particular, develop a new parking signage and information system that supports parking and wider applications.
- identifying opportunities to provide secure bicycle and coach parking in appropriate city centre locations.
- ensuring appropriate provision for taxis within the city centre.
Specific actions and measures are outlined that align with these objectives and the city’s wider aspirations and goals. These actions include:
- on-street, off-street public and private parking
- off-street council site
- parking in residential areas
- parking information, and
- complementary actions.
We will implement and deliver the actions and strategy in partnership with relevant stakeholders.