Springfield Dam and Park
The redevelopment of Springfield Dam and Park is the first step in our plans to reconnect communities in an area stretching from Glencairn to Bog Meadows.
Funding for this project has been secured from PEACE IV and Department for Communities.
By reconnecting the dam and park we will create a new signature civic space with improved access, recreational facilities and environmental enhancements.
Download a map of the site detailing our plans (PDF - 2.08MB)
Our plans for Springfield Dam Park include:
Improved access to and around the site
- A number of new entrance points around the park, including a signature pedestrian access point to the north of the site.
- Car parking, including accessible parking spaces.
- A new pedestrian bridge crossing the dam will help to integrate the site by providing access to the new pathway and recreational facilities along the east bank.
- Fishing stands along the east bank of the dam.
- A circular pathway will provide quiet and scenic places for walking, jogging and exercising.
- A new modular classroom will provide a year-round meeting place for schools and community groups.
- Dedicated outdoor event space will enable fairs and community events to take place.
- A number of floating islands and wildflower planting will provide additional habitat for birds and wildlife.
- The existing ecological richness of the area will be enhanced through additional planting throughout the site.
Overall site enhancements
- A new viewing area will provide a place to take in the vista while information panels will outline the history of the dam.
- New lighting and fencing throughout the park will ensure an attractive and uniform look throughout the site.
We are currently running a public consultation, seeking your views on our plans for Springfield Dam Park.
The public consultation will close at midnight on Sunday 9 September 2018.
We are also holding a drop-in information session on Tuesday 26 June 2018 from 10am – 4pm in the Innovation Factory, Forthriver Business Park, Springfield Road. Here you will be able to view our plans and speak to council officers directly involved with the project.
If you would like to complete a hard copy of the survey, you can contact us using the details at the top of this page and we can arrange to post or email one to you.