We offer a commercial waste collection service to businesses in Belfast.
- a collection service across the whole city
- a competitively priced and reliable service
- a wide choice of commercial waste bins
- excellent customer support
- recycling service for commercial waste
- Saturday collections in certain parts of Belfast
- an evening collection service in Belfast city centre
- a legal contract between us and your business
- discounted rates for schools, charities and churches.
Food waste legislation
As of 1 April 2017 The Northern Ireland Environment Agency introduced new legislation that means that all businesses that generate more than 5kg of food waste must have a food waste collection.
Businesses can arrange the collection through their own waste collection contract. Our commercial waste service can also provide a food waste collection, please phone us on 028 9027 0735 for more information.
As part of this new legislation, we will not collect general commercial waste bins which contain 5kg or more of food waste.
For more information please contact Northern Ireland Environment Agency.
Food businesses must dispose of all food waste including fats and oils responsibly. We encourage food businesses disposing of fats and oils to use grease traps to avoid blocking drains. For advice on dealing with fats and oils visit the Northern Ireland Water website.
Reducing food waste
In 2013 WRAP (Waste and Resources Action Programme) published research showing that food waste cost the UK Hospitality and Food Service (HaFS) sector around £2.5billion each year.
Over half of this food waste is currently not being recycled, even though it could be. Recycling food waste can save businesses a lot of money, and most businesses recover the costs of implementing a food waste programme within the first two years.
WRAP produced a set of campaign resources, “Your Business is Food; don’t throw it away” (PDF - 593KB) for the HaFS sector providing practical tools for measuring and reducing food waste. These resources include tips for reducing food waste and engaging staff.
From this research key strategies for reducing food waste are to measure food waste, engage staff, rethink buffets, reduce food overproduction and repurpose excess food. More suggested ways of reducing food waste can be found in the full report.
Arranging a commercial waste collection
Phone us on 028 9027 0735 for more information.
Types of commercial waste bins
- 60 litre bagged waste - this is charged every six months in advance. We issue collection bags to cover a six-month period from the start of your contract. Extra bags can be ordered if needed.
- 240 litre wheeled bin - there is a charge for this bin and collection fees are payable every six months in advance.
- 660 litre bin - this bin is free but there is a collection charge which is invoiced monthly.
- 1100 litre bin - this bin is free but there is a collection charge which is invoiced monthly.
Recycling service for commercial waste
Recycling can help reduce the amount of waste which ends up in landfill, and could reduce the number of collections you need.
We offer a range of commercial waste recycling services:
- dry recycling (for paper, card, plastic bottles and aluminium cans)
- glass recycling (for glass bottles and jars)
- food waste composting
||Tins (biscuits, sweets)
||Clean aluminium foil
||Plastic pots, tubs and tray
||Toilet roll tubes
|Food and drink cans and cartons
|Food waste composting - What goes in my bin?
|Fruit and vegetable peelings
|| Teabags and coffee grounds
|| Takeaway pizza boxes (torn up)
When you add a recycling service, we'll provide you with the relevant bin.
All our recycling bins are provided free of charge. If you don't have room for a recycling bin, we can provide you with recycling bags which take up less space.
Types of commercial recycling bins
- 240 litre recycling wheeled bin - perfect for offices and smaller businesses, it can fit through standard doorways.
- 660 litre recycling container - designed to fit through standard doorways and is ideal for large quantities of waste on premises with limited space.
- 1100 litre recycling container - ideal for large quantities of waste, equivalent to five standard household bins.
- 140 litre food recycling bin - to store used food waste bags until collection.
- Recycling bags - ideal for dry recycling if you don't have the space for bins.
If you put any waste in your bin that is not permitted, we'll place a contamination sticker on it and
won't be able to collect it. Please remove the offending waste and leave the bin out for collection again on your next collection day.
For prices, call us on 028 9027 0735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All customers must pay by direct debit.
All queries about invoices should be made to our Central Transactions Unit on 028 9027 0319.
Collection days and times
Bins are collected Monday to Friday 7am to 3.30pm.
They must be left out for collection by 7am to make sure they are emptied. We can't give specific collection times for individual premises.
Using your bin
- Leave your bin out from 7am to 3.30pm on your collection day.
- Please make sure bins can be easily reached by our staff.
- Don't overfill your bin - make sure the lid closes properly.
- Any loose waste should be stored in the prepaid bags provided and tied securely.
- Return your bin to your storage area after collection. Please don't leave it on the footpath or in the street.
- Glass, metal or wood shouldn't be placed in prepaid waste bags.
- Recycling: we can't lift paper or cardboard placed outside your bin.
Commercial Waste Service
The Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street
Telephone: 028 9027 0735
Fax: 028 9027 0672
For specific queries:
Invoicing, debt and account enquiries
Telephone: 028 9027 0319
New and amended service requirements, marketing and sales information
Telephone: 028 9027 0735
Operational enquiries (including missed collections)
Telephone: 028 9027 0230
Prepaid waste bags
Telephone: 028 9027 0298