Get on the cycle freeway as the popular Ciclovia Belfast returns
11 Feb 2020
The worldwide phenomenon known as Ciclovia returns to the streets of Belfast on Sunday 29 March from 9.30am – 12 noon.
Ciclovia Belfast provides a traffic free cycling experience through the streets of Belfast City Centre. It aims to promote community cohesion, physical and mental well-being, cycling awareness and safety. It’s fun, free, for all ages and abilities.
As in previous years there is no need to sign up, just turn up on the day and enjoy a Sunday morning on the cycle freeway. The route runs between two hubs located at Botanic Gardens and Belfast City Hall and is accessible from 9.30am – 12 noon. Traffic management will be in place from 8am – 12.30pm and normal traffic flow will resume at 12:30pm.
Key features of Ciclovia Belfast:
- Activities will run at Belfast City Hall from 9.30am -12noon and at Botanic Gardens from 9.30am -1pm and will feature lots of free family fun events including cycling, sporting and safety activities.
- Along the route look-out for choirs, buskers, musicians, circus performers and cycling workshop opportunities.
- Participants can start the route wherever they wish and cycle up and down, in whichever direction, throughout the event.
- The cycle freeway route follows Botanic Avenue, Dublin Road, Bedford Street, Donegall Square West and onto the front of Belfast City Hall.
- On the day participants are welcome to mark the official opening of the cycle freeway by attending the Ciclovia Belfast big roll out. Meeting point is the McClay Library entrance to Botanic Gardens at 9.30am.
Ciclovia Belfast welcomes all non-motorised transport. If you don’t have a bike, you can walk, run, scoot or trike the route. Need a bike? Then visit one of the Belfast Bikes docks, where you can register and pick up a bike for rent. Belfast Bikes docks are located along the Ciclovia Belfast route. For further details visit www.belfastbikes.co.uk
Deputy Lord Mayor of Belfast, Cllr Peter McReynolds, said:
“I’m delighted that Belfast City Council will once again be supporting this free family friendly event. Ciclovia is a great way of bringing people together from right across Belfast and beyond whilst promoting an active and healthy lifestyle. The route from Botanic Gardens to City Hall will be a hive of activity with music and street performers for everyone to enjoy. I look forward to taking in the sights and sounds of the event and I would encourage as many people as possible to join in and be part of this unique fun event.”
Johnny Davis, Ciclovia Belfast event organiser, added:
“We are delighted to bring Ciclovia Belfast back to the streets of Belfast. It will be a fantastic all-inclusive fun, free community event with lots of activities for everyone to enjoy. We are thankful to all our partners and supporters who have helped to make this event happen including Public Health Agency, Belfast City Council, Department for Infrastructure and Linen Quarter BID. With all their support we are able to deliver another great Ciclovia Belfast for everyone to enjoy.”
Ciclovia Belfast will include traffic restrictions and diversions throughout the duration of the event. These will be in place from 8am – 12.30pm, Sunday 29 March. For full details please visit www.cicloviabelfast.com. Follow the Ciclovia Belfast conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram #CicloviaBelfast.